ALARM! :: I should have told you that movies in the afternoon are my weakness.

"Nobody should be a mystery intentionally. Unintentionally is mysterious enough."

Saturday, June 16, 2007

There's Been an Accident

At least one commenter expressed confusion at my complete hatred of Crash and asked for a little more detail. To detail the film's myriad problems would require more time and energy than I have right now, but thank goodness for Matt Zoller Seitz, who gave the film a proper berating here.

Yes, I admit, the movie’s more primally exciting than, say, “American Beauty” or “A Beautiful Mind” or “The English Patient,” and more superficially “edgy.” But it’s also dumber and meaner and uglier, an Importance Machine that rolls over you like a tank. And it’s lazy and simplistically cynical about its central subject, race, in that it promulgates a false idea of how Americans express racial attitudes in public.

...[D]eep down [Haggis] doesn’t actually want to say something useful about the modern state of race relations. He just wants to be able to play with racially charged material and be acclaimed for his bravery. The up-to-the-minute realities of American racism are too subtle and elusive for Haggis and his cowriter to grasp, and require too much care to dramatize.

It's worth (re)reading the whole thing.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt's take on Crash is similar to my own reading of the film back in the day, although his reading is far more articulate than my own. In fact, I tried to be generous to the film at first because I thought the intentions were good.

That being said, YouTube, TMZ, and other web video sites seem to be suggesting that it's not entirely unrepresentative.

June 16, 2007 10:31 PM  
Blogger Pstonie said...

I found some of his arguments interesting. According to him the film misrepresented the racial situation and could potentially cause more racial tension.

He also manages to squeeze in a mention of Brokeback Mountain, which (I'm assuming) had a disproportion of gay people in it. Good thing I didn't see that, or else I might think all of america is covered in gay people.

I'm not saying Crash was a great movie, but it's definitely not the worst I've seen.

June 16, 2007 11:44 PM  
Blogger Robert S. Porter said...

Typical conservative response to Crash. As if sticking ones fingers in their ears and saying "lalalala" will make the widespread racism go away.

Crash was an excellent movie and to ignore the excellent performances and script because you think racism isn't very evident in American society is laughable.

Then again you didn't like Zodiac.

June 17, 2007 8:48 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Robert.

I loved Zodiac; it's probably my favorite movie of the year. I don't know where you got the idea I didn't like it.

And I didn't say anything about racism, and MZS's review didn't deny that racism exists in any way--just that Crash dealt with it in such a heavy-handed, patently ludicrous way as to lose all credibility.

June 17, 2007 11:21 PM  
Blogger Robert S. Porter said...

Sorry, I meant did. Which was supposed to be the point, since it was so bad. (It would have worked better if I knew how to type properly.)

I don't see how it delt with racism in any way which could be considered ludicrous. I mean sure it's a movie, but it shows many issues with racism in America.

The point that it was trying to make is that people need to examine how they see other races. That fact that the supposedly non-racist guy (Phillipe), kills the kids because he doesn't believe that a black person could like hockey or be trustworthy show the importance of everyone's bias.

It's not heavy handed when you think because it's making a point. The interwoven plot may make it seem so but it's so perfectly ochestrated and well written I don't see how it can be discounted because the focus on race is so prominent.

June 20, 2007 6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home